Inspection Teams Head to Damaged Areas Today(Lincoln, Neb.) - (Nov. 7, 1997) - Teams of federal and state inspectors Friday began meeting with local officials to survey damage areas, and review cleanup and emergency cost estimates for possible federal reimbursement in the wake of last month's snow storm.
The inspection teams are making visits in several eastern Nebraska counties as part of a damage survey process needed to accompany requests for federal disaster assistance. President Clinton's major disaster declaration last week triggered the availability of federal funds to help the State, local governments and some non-profit organizations with certain costs incurred for debris removal and emergency protective measures resulting from the storm. Individuals are not eligible for any federal financial assistance under this declaration.
The federal government reimburses eligible governmental entities 75 percent of approved damage costs. The remaining 25 percent comes from non-federal funds, usually a cost-share between the State and the local entity applying for assistance.
The counties eligible for assistance are: Adams, Banner, Buffalo, Butler, Cass, Cheyenne, Clay, Custer, Dawson, Douglas, Fillmore, Franklin, Furnas, Frontier, Gosper, Hall, Hamilton, Hitchcock, Harlan, Hayes, Kearney, Kimball, Lancaster, Lincoln, Nuckolls, Otoe, Phelps, Polk, Red Willow, Saline, Sarpy, Saunders, Scotts Bluff, Seward, Thayer, Washington, Webster and York.
In other disaster news: